Some People Who Influenced Me

 Some people leave lasting imprints on one's life, mould one's personality. 

Memories of such persons refuse to fade away. 


Professor. K. L. Virmani taught us English at D.A.V. College, Chandigarh. 

He was not only an erudite teacher, but also a renowned poet. 


A handsome, simple, straight forward, he never shared his griefs with anyone. 

Instead he chose words to vent his feelings. 


His collection of poems titled "Springtime Raptures" became enormously popular. 


Though he interacted with his colleagues/students, he was basically a loner, savoured his solitude. 


I was fortunate to spend considerable time with him, gained his insights about life. 


Once I met him at the Indian Coffee House, Sector 17 where he gave me an invaluable lesson, "Son, it is only by keeping oneself far from the madding crowd that one can attain something worthwhile." 


While pursuing my post-graduation from Panjab University, I often had my lunch at G.C. Chatterji Hall a.k.a Hostel Number 2. 


Once while entering the hostel mess, I saw an old hermit sitting under the banyan tree. 

He was chanting "Hare Krishna Mahamantra"  ecstatically. 

There was an ethereal glow on his face. 

Like a powerful magnet, his persona attracted me. 

I went to him and asked, "Baba, would you like to have lunch with me?" 

With a beatific smile, he said, "If Lord Krishna wishes so." 


After the lunch, the monk blessed me and asked, "Son, I'm in a quandary. Can you help me out?" 

"Kindly let me know baba." I said, humbly. 

"Son, when I am awake, the world before my eyes fascinate me, appears to be real. 

But during my sleep, the world of dreams also seem true. 

Son, which world should I rely upon - the world that appears in the waking state or the world that appears in the sleeping state?" he said with a meaningful smile. 


That brief encounter with the holy man made me look at things from an entirely different perspective. 

It set the stage for my spiritual odyssey. 


To find an answer to the question that why good guys have to suffer much in life although they have not done any wrong to anyone, I had discussions with many enlightened persons, read scriptures, did meditation. 


Finally I was able to find the answer : 

"Just as the origin of a dream can be traced to one's desires or actions during the waking state, likewise one's present state can be traced to one's actions in the past lives." 


~ Sanjay Gargish ~ 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery Behind The Cycle Of Birth And Death.

शाम होने को है... (Evening Is About To Set)

Don't Suppress Your Emotions