Why good guys suffer?

 Some people leave lasting imprints on one's life, change one's perspective on life entirely. 


While pursuing my post-graduation in Economics from Panjab University, Chandigarh, I often had my lunch at G.C. Chatterji Hall a.k.a Hostel Number 2. 


Once while entering the hostel mess I saw an old hermit in ochre robes, sitting under the banyan tree. 


He was chanting "Hare Krishna Mahamantra"  ecstatically. 


There was an ethereal glow on his face. 


Like a powerful magnet, his persona attracted me. 


I went to him and asked, "Baba, would you like to have lunch with me?" 


With a beatific smile, he said, "If Lord Krishna wishes so." 


After the lunch, the monk blessed me and said, "Son, I'm in a quandary. Can you help me out?" 


"Kindly let me know baba what can I do for you" I said while prostrating at his feet. 


"Son, when I am awake, the world before my eyes fascinates me, appears to be real. But during my sleep, the world of dreams also seem true. Son, which world should I rely upon - the world that appears in the waking state or the world that appears in the sleeping state?" he said with a meaningful smile. 


That brief encounter with the old holy man made me look at things from an entirely different perspective. 


It set the stage for my spiritual odyssey. 


Being an ex-office bearer of Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) at DAV College, Chandigarh helped. 


It made my interactions with saints easy, accessible. 


I discussed spirituality with many monks and enlightened persons, minutely studied scriptures, learnt meditation. 


Sizable amount of my time during those days was spent at Ramakrishna Mission Chandigarh, discussing spiritual matters with Swami Ramananda ji Maharaj. 


He once told me that before his initiation into spirituality, he was a famous neuro-surgeon, studied medicine in United Kingdom. 


As materialism failed to fill the void within him, he left his profession for the sake of highest good. 


A completely contented, tranquil soul with thorough knowledge about the scriptures, it was always a delight to talk to Swami ji. 


Once I asked, "Swami ji, Why good guys have to suffer much in life although they have not done any wrong to anyone while the evil persons and wrongdoers live comfortably?"


Swami ji smiled and answered, "Son, the same question was posed by Laxman ji to Sri Ram ji in Valmiki Ramayan." 


"What did Sri Ram ji replied then?" I asked curiously. 


"Sri Ram ji replied that good people suffer because of the effects of remnants of bad karmas in previous lives. After the suffering, they would not be born again and attain moksha. It may seem that a wrongdoer or an evil person is living comfortably. But the fact is that his life is nothing less than a hell. And yes, he has to take birth again and again on this planet to reap the effects of accumulated bad karmas."



~ Sanjay Gargish ~ 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three S Formula For A Happy Life.

Silent Lovers

True, Brave Sons Of The Soil