Guru Dakshina

Good paying jobs in the private sector were hard to come by during the 80s and better part of 90s. 


The main reason being IPR-56 (Industrial Policy Resolution of 1956) in Indian Economy that stifled the growth of private sector. 


For getting a government job, one needed to have either "sifarish" (political or bureaucratic connections) or money for paying "nazrana" (bribes). 


Though my father was well connected but being a highly principled person, he never used his links for his or his family's benefit. 


Unlike most of the fathers who went out of their ways to set up businesses or find  lucrative jobs for their wards, my father told me in clear words, "Son, I could have made colossal money by misusing my official position. But I strongly believe that "dhan" (money) and "dharma" (right way to make money) must go hand in hand. If a person has only "dhan" and not "dharma", then there is absolutely no difference between that person and a high-class prostitute! 

With my honest earnings, I have tried my best to give good food, clothes and education to you. Pleading before someone for your job would mean going against my grain. It'll be better if you find a suitable job yourself." 


At that time I really felt bad but later on I realized the real import of his words. 

With his straightforward talk, he gave me an invaluable lesson - one should never compromise on one's principles. 


As I had neither "sifarish" nor money for "nazrana", so I remained unemployed for some time after completing my studies. 


It was during that period that I gained lots of insights. 


I learnt many a thing that perhaps can never be taught by any teacher or book. 


I regularly frequented area around GPO in Sector 17 where vendors sold forms for government jobs, read newspapers and magazines like Competition Master, Competition Success in the Central Library. 


For food, my favorite haunt was Haryana Canteen that sold eatables at throwaway prices. 

A samosa was sold for 50 paise, jalebis for Rs 15/kg, my favorite besan barfi for 35 paise! 


During those times, flute seller Ram Kumar entertained visitors to Sector 17 by playing sweet melodies on his flute. 


I made friends with him, requested him to give me some lessons on flute. He obliged. 


In the scorching afternoons of May, under an Amaltas tree in Rose Garden, he taught me how to play a flute. 


As I had no money for his fee, I would often treat him to the samosas from Haryana canteen. 


Few days ago, I went to Sector 22 for some work. 


There I saw a young man of about 25 years playing flute beautifully. He was also selling flutes of various sizes, types. 


I approached him and asked curiously, "Son, What's your name? From where have you learnt flute playing?" 


"Uncle my name is Suraj. I have learnt this from my grandfather Ram Kumar ji." said the young man. 


"Oh! Where's your grandfather now?" I asked eagerly. 


"Uncle, after living in Chandigarh for many years he had shifted to his ancestral village in Uttar Pradesh. He died 8 years ago." 


Deeply saddened by the death news of my "flute guru", I placed my hand on the young man's shoulder. 


With a heavy heart, I put my hand in my pocket, pulled out some currency notes and gave them to Suraj. 


"Uncle, Why are you giving me these notes? I would not take them!" 


"Son, this is the "Guru Dakshina" (teacher's fee) that I owed to your grandfather. Kindly take it. Before I die, I want to clear all sorts of my debts" I said with moist eyes while putting the notes in his shirt's pocket. 


~ Sanjay Gargish ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery Behind The Cycle Of Birth And Death.

शाम होने को है... (Evening Is About To Set)