A Teacher Must Remain An Eternal Student

 I honestly believe that a teacher ceases to be a teacher when he becomes contented with his knowledge, refuses to learn further from others, surroundings. 


A teacher must always remain an eternal student! 


There is a beautiful Shloka in Rig Veda : 


आ नो भद्रा: क्रतवो यन्तु विश्वत: 

( Let noble thoughts come to us from every side. Let us learn from all. )


The year was 2009, it was extremely cold evening of December. 

A gentleman in his seventies came to my house and requested, "Sir, my grandson is doing Masters in Business Administration (M.B.A) from Indore. 

He is not comfortable with Macroeconomics and Statistics. 

Will you do me a favour by teaching these subjects to him?" 


I told the septuagenarian to send his grandson the next day. 


Sartaj Singh came at the appointed time, humbly touched my feet. 

I blessed him and asked him to introduce himself. 


He told me that he was from a farming family of Punjab ( incidentally his village is at a stone's throw from mine), stayed in the hostel of the university at Indore, and wanted to join a good Multi National Corporation. 


Sartaj was a quick learner, soon understood the nuances  of the subject.  


I taught him for about four months. 


He sat for his examinations in the month of April, assured me that he would pass with the flying colors. 


After a few months, Sartaj's result was declared. 

He came to my house with a box of sweets. 

"Sir, I have done very well in Macroeconomics and Statistics but was unable to score much in other subjects. So my aggregate percentage is just 55% ." 


"Only 55%, and you are distributing sweets as if you have got heaven on earth." I asked in amazement. 


"Sir, I am in seventh heaven today so I am distributing sweets. I have also planned to give a grand party to my friends. 

Sir, I am intensely happy because I would be promoted to the next semester. More importantly, I would again sit among the galaxy of super intelligent students - those who routinely secure more than 90%." he said, rather innocuously. 


That day Sartaj taught me to look at things only from a positive aspect. 


~ Sanjay Gargish ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery Behind The Cycle Of Birth And Death.

शाम होने को है... (Evening Is About To Set)

Don't Suppress Your Emotions