My Town - Chandigarh

With it's lush green environs, Chandigarh was once a small, alluring town. The general populace being old-fashioned, public interaction between the opposite sexes was a taboo.
The magnificent, dense bamboo grove in the leisure valley provided immense relief during the scorching summer months. Often we chatted, slept soundly among the tall, fragrant bamboos during the hot afternoons.
For some of my classmates, romance meant onesided affair, limited to catching a glimpse of their "beloveds".
As D.A.V. College was then an all boys college, they lingered on for hours at the bus stop opposite General Hospital Sector 16, to have a heavenly sight of their "darlings".
When the "sweetheart" of one of my friends impishly smiled at him, he swooned, remained in the dwam, for the next couple of days!
Much has changed now. Today's Chandigarh has lost much of it's civility. The innocence, traditionalism of the past has been replaced with openness, vulgarity. There is now open display of lovemaking in public parks. Ruffians, rogues are ruling the roost.

Well, I have expressed my anguish in the form of my new composition:

Courtesy is crumbling, loyalty doesn't last.
My town is also changing fast.

All are wearing smiles, everyone is in fact downcast.
My town is also changing fast.

Shade or aid is rare here, here mighty trees are vast.
My town is also changing fast.

Healers of the society have also become ill, at last.
My town is also changing fast.

In this world so fast, I have been miserably miscast.
My town is also changing fast.

~ Sanjay Gargish ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery Behind The Cycle Of Birth And Death.

शाम होने को है... (Evening Is About To Set)

Don't Suppress Your Emotions