Everything Provided By Mother Nature Is Wholesome.

Though a teacher of Economics, I feel it's part of my job to acquaint my students about "life" and it's various hues so that they can turn out assets for the nation. My students' knowledge should not be limited to such concepts as "Stock Markets" or "Economic Policies".

With regard to my last post, a student of mine has asked ," Sir, my dietitian warns me of protein deficiency and related complications if I forego non veg products. What should I do?"

Well, I have spent a substantial part of my childhood and youth in a remote rural area("pind"). Back then, our mothers were unlettered about vitamins, proteins, omega3 foods and all such nonsense. Our breakfast consisted mainly of missi or makki rotis (gram or corn flour chapattis) with dollops of butter and a glassful of lassi (butter milk). Freshly uprooted radishes, turnips and carrots from the fields, sprinkled with salt, comprised our lunch. We roasted potatoes and fresh green chicken peas(choliya) in "chulha"(Brick stove) for our snacks. Chewing sugarcanes, corncobs was our pastime. We used to gulp "raw milk"(hot, unboiled milk), straight from the udders of the cow. Ladoos, gur (jaggery), jalebis were relished much and consumed copiously.
Any modern day dietitian would surely frown at this "unhealthy" diet. However, I am pretty confident that persons of my generation(70s and before) still have the capability and courage to give tough competition to the modern youth fed on protein supplements and energy drinks, in any physical activity.
Though horses and elephants depend entirely on plant based diet, I have yet to find an elephant or horse suffering from anaemia.
Many noted athletes and sportspersons partake mainly fruits and cereals. You will be surprised to know that legendary Indian wrestler, Olympian Sushil Kumar is a pure vegetarian.
Have you ever seen any labourer or rickshaw wallah visiting a dietitian for the unaffordable, tailor-made diet chart. I often see them eating stale chapattis with pickles, yet they have tremendous stamina and energy.
I sincerely believe that all the edible commodities bestowed by Mother Nature are wholesome for us. Devour fresh vegetables, fruits and cereals. Take ample exercise and  ignore the stupid warnings.

~Sanjay Gargish~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery Behind The Cycle Of Birth And Death.

शाम होने को है... (Evening Is About To Set)

Don't Suppress Your Emotions